Where are we now?


View Where are we now? in a larger map Jo, Annie, Miles and I are living in Northport, Alabama and working at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. We've been glad to be in one place for a bit after what appeared to be semi-permanently traveling (in actuality for a period of 2.5 years).We started this blog to catalogue some of the adventures when Jo and I were sequentially conducting our dissertation research in India and Brazil. While we've fallen off the blogging bandwagon somewhat during recent trips to Brazil, we're trying to pick it up again now that we're back in India!


Saturday, June 6, 2009

Photo mania

Hello all! My dear friend and roommate Beck left India yesterday, and as part of her leaving we exchanged photos. This means I finally have some to share with you! Looking over them, I can clump them into 3 major categories: cool things I've seen, tasty things I've eaten, and interesting things I've done. So here we go with the album...

First, cool things I've seen:


The elephant-shaped topiary in the central park/square thing of the market next to my new shi-shi apartment.



The cutest kitten in India, all claws and teeth. She was rescued from the street and is a ball of pure hunting instinct. She has a spotty belly and a long neck. very wild.



Next on the list of cool things is something that would make my dear father-in-law cringe. Based on my limited experience with wiring (confined primarily to changing out the ceiling fans when we bought our house), something tells me this isn't the best job...


The Baha'i Temple in Delhi, shaped like a lotus and very close to my new apartment. Don't ask me why it's here; as far as I know the Indian Baha'i community is quite small. My friend Sarah and I scorched the heck out of our feet walking up to the entrance without shoes (you have to take them off) in a long line of people at 4 in the afternoon on a 108 degree day. They lay out jute mats, which help a little. The pavement itself feels like hot coals. Inside is just an airy, open seating area. The outside is the best part (kind of like the Taj).






Here are some beautiful shots from the old city market in Jaipur, where Beck and I went a couple of weeks ago for a short trip. This is the city where Dave and I spent the summer after our wedding. Mixed in here are various shots of bangles, digestive tonics, bulk tea and spices (including those chiles)...

I think the things I've done and things I've eaten will have to wait for another post. It's Sunday, so I've got a date with the movie theatre. Off to see the new Star Trek!
More soon!...

No comments: