Where are we now?


View Where are we now? in a larger map Jo, Annie, Miles and I are living in Northport, Alabama and working at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. We've been glad to be in one place for a bit after what appeared to be semi-permanently traveling (in actuality for a period of 2.5 years).We started this blog to catalogue some of the adventures when Jo and I were sequentially conducting our dissertation research in India and Brazil. While we've fallen off the blogging bandwagon somewhat during recent trips to Brazil, we're trying to pick it up again now that we're back in India!


Sunday, June 7, 2009

...and even more!

Well, as they say, when it rains, it pours. I wanted to get the remainder of my photos loaded before I head off to Goa tomorrow morning, and my PIC (that's short for partner in crime) beat me to it!

I guess it's time to upload the "things I've eaten" section. This one is kinda short. First, green coconuts: the only source of human growth factor besides breast milk, full of natural electrolytes, including potassium, and a day's worth of vitamin c! there were 3 guys outside my old house who sold them...none in the swanky new neighborhood. I have no idea why this is the case, but I miss my daily dose of growth factor.



Next up, the cutest little watermelon in the world. I should be holding a mango, as it's mango season here and they are truly phenomenal. Like bananas, there are hundreds of varieties of mangoes, but we only get a couple of them in the US. The ones here aren't fibrous at all, but are melt-in-your-mouth smooshy and super-sweet. People here go crazy over them. There are mango festivals, and more than one of my patients has waxed poetic about how much they've missed eating mangoes since they got diabetes (they're so sweet that diabetics aren't supposed to eat them).




Okay, I guess that's kind of it for the things I've eaten. Don't get me wrong; I'm eating a lot more than fruit and green coconuts, but not so many pictures. The food here is diverse, clean, and VERY tasty (and fattening!). I've eaten everything from Subway to Thai, and of course lots of North and South Indian food. Now that I'm in my new place I've started cooking more. I'm looking forward to having access to healthier food that I can prepare myself.

Finally, cool things I've done. The first (and perhaps coolest) was my and my roommate's stint as "voice-over artists" for a language instruction CD that the language instition for which she worked was producing. We are immortalized doing dialogues such as: "It was cold in Ladakh, and we had a lot of luggage." "But what about the yak?" etc. It was a lot of fun. Probably the first and last time I'll see the inside of an Indian recording studio.




In other news, bought some rad shoes in Jaipur (guess which ones are mine!).




...and hung out with a lot of cows.




That's about it for the pictures today. More to come, including a comparative piece tentatively titled "Apartment: Past and Present". Stay tuned.

No comments: