Where are we now?


View Where are we now? in a larger map Jo, Annie, Miles and I are living in Northport, Alabama and working at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. We've been glad to be in one place for a bit after what appeared to be semi-permanently traveling (in actuality for a period of 2.5 years).We started this blog to catalogue some of the adventures when Jo and I were sequentially conducting our dissertation research in India and Brazil. While we've fallen off the blogging bandwagon somewhat during recent trips to Brazil, we're trying to pick it up again now that we're back in India!


Saturday, October 15, 2011

Surprise!!!!

Many readers of this blog might know that yesterday (October 15th) was Jo's 30th birthday!!! What most will not know, however, is that Grandma Gail and I threw her a surprise party!!! What many do not know about me is that I am horrible at keeping surprises. I'm talking awful, the pits, the worst. For example, I remember a previous birthday of Jo's where I had bought her a dress I knew she wanted about a week before her birthday, I drove home and was so excited I couldn't keep it hidden in my backpack, I showed it to her as soon as I walked in the door, hopping around with glee. All of which is to say that somehow, due to Gail's presence and co-conspiratorial assistance, I was able to plan this bash for Jo and it was actually a surprise!

To make her think I hadn't forgotten, Gail and I made a special breakfast of a fruit platter and chocolate chip pancakes.






With the ruse carried out and the curiosity deflected, it was time for the real event!


Some of you might know that I have a history of hidden video-camera usage; I recorded me proposing to Jo by placing a camera inside a potted plant. Granted I mostly got below our knees but it was the thought that counts, right? Well, I think the following video came out much better, using the computer's webcam and a screen capture program.




The spread


Banjo and balloons, a pair that was always meant to go together


Annie in her fancy dress for the first time, which will probably last another week!


Sibghat and Annie


Emily--who is also doing diabetes research in Delhi--got a chance to meet some of our other Delhi's friends


Adam, who is Emily's husband, just arrived in Delhi a few days ago and was eager to learn about the upcoming Indian holiday of Diwali





Gail and Adam get to know each other over some Subway


Me relieved that the time of trying to keep the surprise a secret was over.



Our friendly neighbors had fun reconnecting


Jo had made it clear she wanted fruit for her birthday, so I ordered a fruit bouquet! Getting it was quite an ordeal, but when it arrived, Jo was amazed and I think all would agree it was love at first sight.



No comments: