Where are we now?


View Where are we now? in a larger map Jo, Annie, Miles and I are living in Northport, Alabama and working at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. We've been glad to be in one place for a bit after what appeared to be semi-permanently traveling (in actuality for a period of 2.5 years).We started this blog to catalogue some of the adventures when Jo and I were sequentially conducting our dissertation research in India and Brazil. While we've fallen off the blogging bandwagon somewhat during recent trips to Brazil, we're trying to pick it up again now that we're back in India!


Sunday, May 17, 2009

Ooops I did it again!

No, I'm not Britney, although some say I do play her on international soap operas. I seem to have a tendency to make incredible faux-paxs while (trying to) dine in foreign restaurants...some may remember my experience in India three years ago, for those that don't I'll recount it: Eating at a fairly fine dining restaurant with Jade, we finished our sumptuous meal; the waiter brought us out each a little dessert glass of water with a slice of lemon in it, "Oh, thinks I, this must be a fine water beverage for which I can cleanse my palate...." Oh no, it was the hand washing water. Whether or not that contributed to my GI misery only my stomach flora can tell, and boy were they talking.

So this morning, I get up to have breakfast (I'm in a "french" hotel now, whatever that means-((in Belem for those who are googlemapping my "progress" or "downfall"))). Anyways, so I'm having breakfast, eating my sandwich, drinking my coffee and juice, and I go up to the buffet table for some dessert.

I see cakes of various types, and a tray of small pudding dishes. Next to the pudding dishes is another dish that says dolce de leche (which is like a very sweet topping), so me thinks "hmm...some dolce de leche on top of what looks like tapioca pudding, not a bad end to the meal". I sit down to sample this fine pudding and load up a big spoonful, only to determine after putting the airplane in the hanger---that it's butter, which promptly landed in my napkin as I spit it's warm nastiness out (we are talking about butter that has the consistency of tapioca pudding mind you).

All of which is to say, you need to be able to laugh at yourself sometimes, or else you'll be eating butter for breakfast. And no one wants that. Not even the guy who was probably biting his tongue while eating breakfast next to me.

No comments: