Where are we now?


View Where are we now? in a larger map Jo, Annie, Miles and I are living in Northport, Alabama and working at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. We've been glad to be in one place for a bit after what appeared to be semi-permanently traveling (in actuality for a period of 2.5 years).We started this blog to catalogue some of the adventures when Jo and I were sequentially conducting our dissertation research in India and Brazil. While we've fallen off the blogging bandwagon somewhat during recent trips to Brazil, we're trying to pick it up again now that we're back in India!


Saturday, January 29, 2011

Sitting on the tracks

So back to the train tracks…..this train from Kolkata was a slow train to begin with, another lesson always take the express trains! So to make a long story short, we were supposed to get into Guwahati (the capital of Assam) at 9 am. At 8:30, we passed a town and I asked my berth mate if we were getting close…oh, no, still six hours. Ok, that’s fine, whatever I’m flexible…than the train stops. And a half hour goes by, and I see people getting off the train and standing on the tracks staring into the distance. And so I join them, and I ask what’s going on: “oh, a strike”. Ok, so when might we start moving? “Within 5 days, for sure…” Ok…are we being serious? Can we be serious? So I go and ask a train attendant, “oh, within a half-hour” Ok, so no one knows…and the hours pass, and pass. I’m trying to remain flexible: this is a learning opportunity, right. So what do I do? Introduce thousands of Indians to the banjo. All sorts of people came out to experience first-hand that strange sound. And then we go back to just sitting in the train car…and blowing bubbles.




Until 5 am the next morning, when we headed back on the road…

Lessons learned: take an express train; people can be incredibly kind: all sorts of people kept coming by to check on me, ask me if I needed food etc. (did I look that distraught?);




always carry a banjo, after all you never know who will be the next Indian banjo superstar…




One last note: this trip I took in "sleeper class" (the cheap lower-class option); usually I travel in 3AC, slightly more expensive but worth it, so for those of you who'll be taking train trips with us soon, the cars look nicer than this!

No comments: