Where are we now?


View Where are we now? in a larger map Jo, Annie, Miles and I are living in Northport, Alabama and working at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. We've been glad to be in one place for a bit after what appeared to be semi-permanently traveling (in actuality for a period of 2.5 years).We started this blog to catalogue some of the adventures when Jo and I were sequentially conducting our dissertation research in India and Brazil. While we've fallen off the blogging bandwagon somewhat during recent trips to Brazil, we're trying to pick it up again now that we're back in India!


Thursday, August 30, 2007

Rats........

Well, no, not exactly. One might ask why I have been up since 5 this morning after getting to sleep at 12. No, the answer is not A) I was so excited about schoolwork i couldn't sleep, it could've been B) I was craving coffee so bad i was retching in my sleep, also C) I was dreaming of a sedentary lifestyle, could've been a strong possibility, but no, in fact it was D) there was a cockroach crawling on my face.

Yes, that's right, the pleasures of being a transient grad student, staying on people's futons etc. Now, one has to understand I'm not staying in a dank, decrepit, dwelling of dubious description (now that's descriptive). Rather, the apartment of my friend, who shall not be named out of fear of reprisal, is immaculately clean (as a newbie grad student she has no funiture save a futon and tv).

As i slept I felt something nibbling on me. Seriously. I itched it, rolled over, and went back to sleep. I awoke again to the same sensation; again, rolled over and went back to sleep. Later, at 5 am, i felt it crawling over my face-with a quick flick (i was conscious enough not to swat myself) i through it across the room, turned on the lights, considered the existential implications of killling the little bugger, and then squashed it.

Oh, life as a transient grad student.

and i'm doing this because.....

1 comment:

herding tapeworms said...

sounds like you're better off sleeping in your backseat with the ants. GROSS.