Where are we now?


View Where are we now? in a larger map Jo, Annie, Miles and I are living in Northport, Alabama and working at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. We've been glad to be in one place for a bit after what appeared to be semi-permanently traveling (in actuality for a period of 2.5 years).We started this blog to catalogue some of the adventures when Jo and I were sequentially conducting our dissertation research in India and Brazil. While we've fallen off the blogging bandwagon somewhat during recent trips to Brazil, we're trying to pick it up again now that we're back in India!


Monday, July 9, 2007

A note from Jo....


Hello everyone ! I am finally getting around to a quick post with some photos from a wedding that I and some friends recently attended. One of our teacher’s older sisters was getting married, so she kindly invited all of us (yes, all 50-some students plus our host families. I was told that the guest list exceeded 1000, so I guess we were just a drop in the bucket.) As many of you know, Indian weddings are always a big to-do, and this was no exception. Besides the 1000 guests, there were something like 40 dishes to choose from, served out of temporary stall-like tents set up around the grounds. The bride (of whom I couldn’t get a good picture) was so laden with jewelry and her heavily embroidered sari that she looked like she might fall over, but no injuries were sustained. I got to eat some of my favorite foods, including dahi bada (which we had at our rehearsal dinner, too) and pani puri (a street food snack that normally spells tummy trouble, but is safe to eat in enclosed spaces).

One of these days I’ll take a camera to the Institute so that you can see what my classrooms look like—Dave is heading off for England in just a few days, so I’d better get cracking if it’s going to happen at all. I miss you all so much and can’t believe it’s already mid-July…

Love, Jo

No comments: