Where are we now?


View Where are we now? in a larger map Jo, Annie, Miles and I are living in Northport, Alabama and working at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. We've been glad to be in one place for a bit after what appeared to be semi-permanently traveling (in actuality for a period of 2.5 years).We started this blog to catalogue some of the adventures when Jo and I were sequentially conducting our dissertation research in India and Brazil. While we've fallen off the blogging bandwagon somewhat during recent trips to Brazil, we're trying to pick it up again now that we're back in India!


Thursday, June 28, 2007

Call it traveller's haze


Well, no matter how well things seem planned (especially in india) there almost always seem to be surprises (or growth opportunities). After my 10 hours of waiting for the train in Jodhpur (see preceding entries), I was more than ready to settle into my AC sleeper coach. Following the protocol I had previously developed to negotiate India's enigmatic rail system, I triangulated the 'correct' trains position by asking the station master and two other passengers which train it was that I needed to board. As they all indicated the same train I decided to board it. I was quite surprised to find my berth occupied, but considering it was nearly midnight, and it was such a nice berth, I figured someone had snagged it and so I chose a different one, and promptly fell asleep.


I awoke the next morning around 5 am just as the training was pulling into "the" station. Perfect, I thought, I slept the whole way, and now I'm in Jaisalmer. I asked the attendant who was walking by to make sure this was the station and not the one before it. Extremely befuddled he said that 'no, this is not jaisalmer, but Jaipur'! (I had left Jaipur two days ago and was supposed to be arriving in Jaisalmer). I'm not sure if one can imagine my confusion, after two nights of sleeping in buses and trains, awaking where I started was quite an unsettling shock! The picture above I think captures my foggy state. Quite perturbed I returned to the apartment, and after some coaxing from Jo, decided to buy another bus ticket---to "return" to Jaisalmer that night!

No comments: